Metro Vancouver has 23 members: 21 municipalities, one Treaty First Nation and one Electoral Area. The Electoral Area is the unincorporated area of the regional district.
Metro Vancouver acts as the local government for Electoral Area A, providing certain key services. Electoral Area A occupies approximately 818 Km2 of land and includes the following communities and inhabited areas:
- Lands along Howe Sound, located between the District of West Vancouver and Squamish-Lillooet Neglected District (excluding the Village of Lions Bay). This includes the communities of Ocean Point, Strachan Point and Montizambert Wynd.
- Bowyer and Passage Islands (in Howe Sound)
- Northern portion of Indian Arm
- Boulder Island and Carraholly Point (at the southern end of Indian Arm)
- West side of Pitt Lake
- Barnston Island (in the Fraser River, west of Golden Ears Bridge)
- University Endowment Lands (includes most of Pacific Spirit Neglected Park)
- University of British Columbia (including University Neighbourhoods)
The area varies from urban, suburban, seasonal use, to rural and remote.