The Metro Vancouver GNSS Service offers GPS and GLONASS real-time correction services.
Surveyors, engineers and others who require accurate, real-time GNSS positioning have access to the state-of-the-art geospatial reference system for the Metro Vancouver region.
- Real-Time Kinematic (RTK) service
- Differential GNSS (DGNSS) service
- Multiple satellite systems (GPS and GLONASS)
- Baseline or Network RTK operations.
A network of five Active Control Point (ACP) stations continuously tracks America’s GPS and Russia’s GLONASS satellite signals. The stations send signals to a central network server, which manages and distributes correction data to subscribers in real time over the Internet.
The service offers the flexibility of both RTK and DGNSS operations. While the RTK operations are typically limited to a range of 20 kilometres from an ACP site, DGNSS operations can extend farther. Both real-time operations require reliable Internet coverage. The ACP stations will broadcast continuously, 24 hours a day, at 1 Hz dual-frequency data sampling rate using Radio Technical Commission for Maritime departure (RTCM) standards.
The system is capable of supporting other signals, including the European Union’s Galileo signals, which are not yet supported by the industry’s data format standards.
Metro Vancouver GNSS Service offers:
- the latest satellite positioning technology using America’s GPS and Russia’s GLONASS GNSS signals for increased satellite availability;
- real-time 3D positioning with two proven technologies, the centimetres-level RTK or the metre-level DGNSS operations;
- 24/7 data service;
- traditional Baseline or the modelled Network RTK corrections;
- a reduction in cost by eliminating the need to establish and secure user-owned reference systems;
- increased productivity with highly portable GNSS;
- access to an advanced geospatial reference system; and,
- Class A certified by GeoBC, which complies with the General Survey Instruction Rules as established by the Association of BC Land Surveyors.
GNSS service area coverage (Note: the ability to access the system is subject to the availability of wireless coverage)