Climate 2050 - Metro Vancouver Youth Forum
When? Saturday, June 2, 2018 - 9:30am - 2pm
Where? Creekside Community Center, Vancouver (Address:
1 Athletes Way, Olympic Village)
What ideas do you have to help address climate change in Metro Vancouver? How can a regional climate plan integrate with local actions to help make a difference regionally and globally? How can Metro Vancouver maximize its efforts to address climate change – what actions should we take?
The Metro Vancouver Board has committed to pursue a regional target of 80% reduction in greenhouse gas emissions from 2007 levels by 2050. In alignment with this target, Metro Vancouver is developing a Climate 2050 Strategic Plan with a vision to ensure our infrastructure, ecosystems, and communities are resilient to the impacts of climate change.
The strategy will provide guidance for action across the Metro Vancouver region to reduce carbon emissions and prepare for the unavoidable impacts of global warming - impacts expected to intensify in the coming years. Over the next 30-plus years the strategy will apply a "climate lens" to policies and initiatives and will support transition in our region to a low carbon future, increasing the health, well-being and prosperity of Metro Vancouver residents. (Visit the
Climate 2050 webpages for more information.)
A first step is the release of The Climate 2050 Discussion Paper, which sets a framework for action. At this unique forum Metro Vancouver is
interested in feedback from youth aged 14 to 35 years, as important stakeholders – who are invited to attend this unique forum.
- Get to know Metro Vancouver's current actions on climate change, and how climate change is projected to impact Metro Vancouver
- Be introduced to proposed Climate 2050 Discussion Paper and provide input and feedback about identified
Climate 2050 Issue Areas
- Share and celebrate climate action success stories from across the region – including youth initiatives – What is working well?
- Exchange ideas and opportunities to enhance climate awareness, action and collaboration – How can we advance climate action and awareness?
- Meet and network with youth, youth leaders, climate-action supporters and Metro Vancouver's Climate Action Team
*Coffee will be available and a light lunch will be provided.
Register for June 2nd